4/20/13

Yogurt Topped Moussaka

I started making this dish long before I ever went to Greece and it is honestly one of my favorite recipes. Moussaka is claimed by the Greeks as their dish, but the Turks were the ones who adopted it and spread it throughout the Islamic world.



This moussaka is made with the ground meat of your choice (I used turkey) and a yogurt and egg topping which replaces the white sauce of the more traditional moussaka recipe.

I did try moussaka while I was in Santorini and the version I had there was a little thicker and sweeter than this one. I think it may have been sweeter because cinnamon was the spice used instead of the nutmeg as in my dish.

This recipe is executed in stages so make sure you read through the entire recipe before tackling it.

Ingredients:

2 eggplants sliced thin
olive oil for sauteing
*1 1/2 lb ground meat
3 large onions sliced thin
3 large garlic cloves chopped
3 T Italian parsley chopped
1 28 oz can of whole tomatoes
1 6 oz can tomato paste
2 eggs
2 c. plain yogurt
1/2 c Parmesan cheese
2 T lemon juice
pinch of nutmeg
S & P to taste


Place sliced eggplant in to a colander and sprinkle with salt, set aside and prepare the meat.

In a large skillet heat 2 T. of olive oil and saute the ground meat until cooked through. Remove the meat and add a little more olive oil and the onions to the pan and saute for 3-4 minutes, then go ahead and add the garlic and the parsley and cook for one more minute. Add the meat back to the pan along with the tomatoes and the paste. Blend everything together and let simmer while you begin to prepare the eggplant.

In another skillet add olive to cover the bottom of the pan and heat. Once oil begins to heat add the sliced eggplant. Be careful that the oil is not too hot or it will spatter when you add the cooler eggplant. Cook eggplant until it begins to brown...you will be doing this in several batches adding more olive oil as you go along. Let eggplant drain on paper towel.

OR 
you can use this lower calorie option to prepare the eggplant...

Place eggplant on jelly roll sheet coated with olive oil flavored cooking spray.  Spry eggplant as well and then place in broiler. Keep a close eye on the eggplant and watch for it to turn a golden brown, and then flip the slices to broil the other side. Remove from pan and let cool.


Once the eggplant is drained, layer the bottom of an 8 x 13 inch baking dish coated with cooking spray, with 1/3 of the eggplant. On top of that add 1/2 of the meat mixture, then add another 1/3 of the eggplant, top with the other half of the meat mixture, and then top off with the last third of the eggplant.

In bowl, whisk together the eggs and add yogurt, whisk again. Then add the Parmesan  lemon juice, nutmeg and salt and pepper and whisk until blended. Top off the eggplant with the yogurt mixture and then sprinkle a little more Parmesan cheese on top.

Place in oven set at 350 degrees and bake for 45 minutes. the dish will be bubbling upon removal from the oven. Let set for ten minutes and then cut and serve. 

*You can also make this into a vegetarian dish by omitting the meat and adding layers of sauteed mushrooms or zucchini,  spinach and possibly slices of Gruyere cheese.

Wishing everyone a fabulous weekend!!!

XO

If you would like to view pictures from our Excursion to Athens, Santorini and Naxos Greece in 2002, just click on the image below

.

Sharing this recipe over at these super blog parties...

7 comments:

  1. Those beautiful, drippy pictures scream, "eat me"! It sounds delicious! I've never had that before, but it looks like a comforting, hearty meal!
    Blessings,
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never heard of this dish, Barbara. Where have I been? I will save it to my files to try one day- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  3. I adore Greek food, Barbara. I have never been to Greece, it is a dream for me to take a cruise through the Greek Isles, and Santorini looks like a pure paradise! We have a Greek festival here in September and I go to get my dinner (and some sweets). ;-) xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy Barb! I had Moussaka many years ago but have never made it because it is made with lamb. I am not a lamb fan... years of eating Mutton in Scottish boarding school. I love that you made yours with ground meat. I'm going to give your recipe a try. Look for this recipe ON THE MENU MONDAY with a link back to this post. Thans!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We just got back from Turkey and Greece so your recipe is "perfect timing". We loved the food and I have been looking for some great recipes. I like that you used turkey...this will be a fun one to try!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, just read your recipe and would like to add that the Bechamel topping is actually not the original. Traditionally the the topping was made with yoghurt eggs and cheese (no lemon!) Bechamel was adopted from the French!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have to make this as the weather cools and the oven heats up! Yum!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment. They truly do brighten my day.

Disclaimer

All content provided on 21 Rosemary Lane blog is for informational purposes only. The owner of this blog makes no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site or found by following any link on this site.

The owner of www.21rosemarylane.com will not be liable for any errors or omissions in this information nor for the availability of this information. The owner will not be liable for any losses, injuries, or damages from the display or use of this information.
These terms and conditions are subject to change at anytime with or without notice.

In addition products mentioned in some of my blog posts are done with the hope that i will render a good review on my blog. Products I review are ones that I have used personally and believe my readers will enjoy.
Copyright © 2014 21 Rosemary Lane. All rights reserved . Powered by Blogger.