2/28/13

Our New Fireplace Mantel ~ Thank You Mr. Rosemary Lane

 
Well the day has finally come to reveal my (almost) finished fireplace mantel. It's basically completed, the only thing left for Mr. RL to do is to put trim on the inside of the surround. But I am going to share with you anyway because I have waited 10 years for this day!
(I'm soooo excited that I just can't hide it...I about to loose control and I think I LOVE IT!!!)  
 
Let me provide for you a little history about the evolution of our fireplace wall.
 
In the beginning there was this...the year 2002.
 
 
As you can see we just had a boring blank fireplace wall and the mantel was nothing more than a thin piece of stained wood. Not very attractive is it? How about that lovely glass door trimmed in gold...not working for me either.
 
 
Then a few years later I convinced Mr. Rosemary Lane to build bookshelves flanking the fireplace, so I painted that little hopeless mantel white to match. 
 
 
Last month my hubby went to work on adding a new fireplace mantel and surround. We had found prefab fireplace mantel and surround sets at Lowes and bought the 3 kits needed to complete the look; the surround, the pilasters and the mantel. Only there was one problem, the mantel did not fit because of the flanking bookshelves, so Mr. RL had to get creative and custom build his own mantel. It took a wee bit longer to put the mantel and surround together than we thought, but we are still thrilled with the end result.
 
Here is the finished project.
 
 
I now have an 11 inch deep mantel to decorate as opposed to the measly 7 inches I had before.
 
 
 
Here's the original room again...
 
 
Compared to the 2013 version...
 
 
 
How do you like my ReStore chair and roadside find coffee table? 
 
I have a few more ideas for this space like having Mr. RL put white wood paneling behind the bookshelves and above the mantel and finish the top with another piece of crown molding. And then new carpet, new window treatments...ah you know the list can go on and on.
 
But for now it's just perfect!
 
XO

Sharing this post at these wonderful linky parties...
 

29 comments:

  1. Barbara, that mantel is gorgeous! I love it so much! Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barbara your mantel looks gorgeous, the hubs did an awesome job!!
    Love the transferware and silver you added to the top!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful job, Barbara. I like the pretty afghan in the first photo. xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Barbara, you are right, it is just perfect. So pretty and Mr. RL did such a good job. I love the carvings and blocks and what you put on top is just beautiful too. You might notice that I changed my header. With a lot of help from you and Denice at House at Forest Manor, it's a done deal. Now I want to change it every day. Let's see if anyone notices..Happy Thursday..Judy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! What a transformation. You and your husband should be very proud for the vision and the execution.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! What a transformation! I'll bet you are loving it!!! Great job, Handy Hubby!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That simply looks fabulous.. I love the way it turned out. Awesome.. xo marlis

    ReplyDelete
  8. Barbara, they say all good things come to those who wait - and you have waited and it's beautiful. The room looks so nice and fresh. I know your loving it. Great job!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Barbara, it looks terrific!!! I can certainly see why you love it. :) I especially like the garland in the center; that's just downright classic, and I'm all about classic. Mr. RL did a super job, and now you can both enjoy how nice it looks.

    Have a wonderful week!

    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the cozy feeling of your room! I could sit in front of the fire for hours!

    Smiles,
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  11. No wonder you were anxious to share! You and yours have worked a miracle on your family room. I hate brown and will be glad to see it banished from decor. Your white looks so fresh and clean and just in time for spring. Do continue to plug along and put your others plans in place. They will be the crowning touch!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What an incredible transformation, you would never know it was the same. It looks custom built - it was! It adds great warmth and charm to your room. Very pretty!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks terrific! Please share it on a terrific linky – Design DĂ©cor Tuesday. www.designdecortuesday.blogspot.com. See you there! ☺

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fantastic transformation! You must just love it - your husband did a great job. Happy Wednesday from the enchanted oven.
    xo,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks absolutely amazing Barbara. What a great transformation!
    xoxo,
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a cozy and wonderful room! Your Hubby did a great job making that kit work....it is stunning and you should be so pleased!
    Nancy
    http://wildoakdesigns.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is an awesome project - would not believe it's the same fireplace. And what a revelation seeing the room in 2002. How styles have changed, heh? The current room is lovely, warm and inviting, cozy but not claustrophobic. I'm a sucker for bookshelves, especially the kind built around a fireplace, the look just says HOME to me. BTW, I fell in love with the floor lamp next to the chair, it's a beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fabulous! I am pinning this. We are looking to revive our fireplace and I would be elated if it turned out this well. New GFC follower.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love not only the new mantel but the entire room! This is such a warm and comfy room ...!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks...its a lovely post and i am impressed your post and walls.
    Fireplaces

    ReplyDelete
  21. Definitely you accomplished the wow factor!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hello,

    Really! This is looking good and also fits well in the seats. It gives beautiful looking the fireplace mantels. The longest time I was searching for this finishing fireplace but at last found the good fireplace mantels design from architecturalstoneelements.com. It gives extreme architectural designs or to design the houses, which is mined and then designed to be placed in houses as well as the other areas of society.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment. They truly do brighten my day.

Disclaimer

All content provided on 21 Rosemary Lane blog is for informational purposes only. The owner of this blog makes no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site or found by following any link on this site.

The owner of www.21rosemarylane.com will not be liable for any errors or omissions in this information nor for the availability of this information. The owner will not be liable for any losses, injuries, or damages from the display or use of this information.
These terms and conditions are subject to change at anytime with or without notice.

In addition products mentioned in some of my blog posts are done with the hope that i will render a good review on my blog. Products I review are ones that I have used personally and believe my readers will enjoy.
Copyright © 2014 21 Rosemary Lane. All rights reserved . Powered by Blogger.