1/7/13

Delicate White Chocolate Cake with Cherry Preserves



There is nothing I like better than a light and fluffy cake. But to be perfectly honest, while I have enjoyed many of the cakes I made from scratch, most of them have come out pretty much on the dense side. Now a box cake, yes I am going to make this statement public...Box cakes are my absolute favorite cakes. They are always light, fluffy and very moist, and you just can't beat them with regard to time and money. So anytime I can incorporate a box cake into a specialty cake, I am there!

I found this recipe on the Duncan Hines website, and it is really wonderful. We had our dear friends, Peggy and Ken with their son Trevor, over last night for a potluck dinner and I served this cake with coffee for dessert. Needless to say, everyone loved it. As a matter of fact I was getting a wee bit nervous that I wouldn't have a piece left to shoot for this post.

Here are the ingredients...

YOU WILL NEED 3 CAKE PANS

1 pkg. of Duncan Hines Moist Deluxe classic white cake mix
3.4 oz pkg of instant vanilla pudding and pie filling
4 large egg whites
1 cup water
1/2 cup vegetable oil
5 oz finely chopped white chocolate (I actually put the chocolate in a plastic bag and just pounded it with a meat tenderizer)
1 cup cherry preserves

For the frosting...

2 cups whipping cream, close to room temperature
Here's is where I departed from the original recipe...it called for 2 T. of confectioner's sugar but that was not sweet enough for my taste, so I bumped up the amount to about a 1/4 cup.

What to do...

1. preheat the oven to 350 and prepare the cakes pan with some cooking spray and flour.

2. Combine the first five ingredients in a large bowl and blend with a hand mixer for 2 minutes.  Fold in the pounded chocolate and mix by hand.

3. Pour even amounts of batter into the three 9 inch prepared cake pans and bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool in pans for about 15 minutes and then remove from pans and cool completely on a wire rack.

4. Beat the whipping cream until soft peaks form and then gradually add the confectioner's sugar and blend together.

5. Place one cake on plate and spread half of the preserves on top. Place second cake on top and spread the other half of the preserves on and then top with last cake and spread on the frosting.


6. I also melted some of the white chocolate and then spread it on the back of a jelly roll pan. I popped it into the freezer for about 10 minutes until it was solid and then broke it up into small pieces to garnish the cake.


Add a couple of maraschino cherries and
enjoy!!!!

XO

Special Note: A few of you requested the white chocolate cake with coconut and pecans recipe from my post Winter Warm Up~Teacups and Lace. This recipe can be modified to make the cake in that post by omitting the preserves and spread between the layers with the frosting and flaked coconut. Add chopped pecans to the batter and replace the white chocolate pieces on the top with more flaked coconut.

Sharing this recipe at link parties over at these wonderful blogs...

14 comments:

  1. Oh my!!! My mouth is watering from these beautiful pictures of this cake! I've never had a white chocolate cherry cake before, but it sound heavenly. I especially like the chocolate shaving.
    I hope maybe to try this recipe out sometime!
    Blessings,
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  2. that cake looks like the ones I've seen in the finer restaurants. I love box cakes as well,,when they are baking, they smell devine! That one you posted a picture of looks like it belongs in a magazine..I bet it was delish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks beautiful and delicious! Love your new header. xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok Barbara..... I think it's better I live so far away... other wise I would be at you home all the time enjoying all your yummy and I would have to buy all new clothes! You are such a talented cook!
    dee dee

    ReplyDelete
  5. Remind me never to visit you again when I am hungry. I am now CRAVING a piece of this cake and I try not to eat sugar or white flour....lol...What a fabulous recipe- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for stopping by my blog! Glad you are making the Chicken Tortilla Soup. Hope you like it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yum! This cake looks so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, does this look yummy! I think this will be what I make for my birthday cake this year. Great post and wonderful blog. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. OH! This looks so good . . . is it wrong to have cake for lunch? NAH, I didn't think so :)

    I wonder how this would taste with strawberry or red raspberry preserves? I bet delicious. I am definitely going to try this . . . maybe for Valentines day.
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my Barbara, this looks really dangerous!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Drool!!! I could get into some real trouble with this. I'm sure it's as delish as your photos present it to be.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Barbara, Your cake looks absolutely beautiful. I just want to reach into my screen a steel a bite! Found you through Daily Dish and so happy I did. Your site is pretty...now following Blessings, Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks delicious. I love the white chocolate cherry combination! Thanks for sharing on Foodie Friends Friday!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment. They truly do brighten my day.

Disclaimer

All content provided on 21 Rosemary Lane blog is for informational purposes only. The owner of this blog makes no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site or found by following any link on this site.

The owner of www.21rosemarylane.com will not be liable for any errors or omissions in this information nor for the availability of this information. The owner will not be liable for any losses, injuries, or damages from the display or use of this information.
These terms and conditions are subject to change at anytime with or without notice.

In addition products mentioned in some of my blog posts are done with the hope that i will render a good review on my blog. Products I review are ones that I have used personally and believe my readers will enjoy.
Copyright © 2014 21 Rosemary Lane. All rights reserved . Powered by Blogger.