7/28/12

A French Delicacy

 

Update...OK Seriously I will never again throw away another orange peel!!!

As part of my effort to celebrate the 30th Olympic Games, I am making various foods from all over the world. Orangettes are French in origin which are actually candied orange peels dipped into a dark chocolate.




What you will need is...
6 navel oranges
1 1/2 cups of sugar plus another cup
Dark chocolate
4 1/2 cups of water


Rinse oranges and pat dry.  Slice off both ends of the orange to reveal the meat of the fruit. At about 1 to 1 1/2 inch increments, slice the orange through the skin and pith. (About 6 slices all the way around.) Then by slipping your thumb under the orange peel, loosen the skin and pull off the individual pieces you've cut. 

Do not cut through the fruit, this will make it more difficult to separate the skin from the fruit. Lay the skins down flat and cut them into 1/4 inch pieces.


There is a method for removing the bitterness of the orange peel and this happens in the boiling of the skin.

Place peel strips into a pot with just enough water to cover them and bring to a boil. Strain off the water and then repeat this step 2 more times with fresh water for a total of 3 boils. Then add your 4 1/2 cups of water and the 1 1/2 cups of sugar to your empty pot. Heat water until the sugar is completely dissolved. Add the orange strips to the water and simmer on low for 45 minutes. Strain and reserve this water for another use.

Pat the strips and then roll them in your other cup of sugar and lay them out on a baking rack to let dry. This will take a couple hours to overnight to completely dry.


Melt the chocolate and dip the strips into it. You can dip the whole strip or only half depending on how much chocolate you like. Lay on jelly roll pan lined with wax paper and let cool in frig.

The reserved sugar water can be used as a simple syrup. Add it to club water or seltzer for a fresh homemade soda or use it to make an orange flavored martini. (Good idea right?) The meat of the fruit can be eaten as a snack or squeezed into a juice.

Hope you are enjoying the games so far!


If you like this post please vote for 21 Rosemary Lane
by clicking on the picket fence below.


21 comments:

  1. You know, I don't think I've ever had these. They look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look amazing, I love candied fruit and chocolate!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great recipe, Barbara! I had no idea the peels were edible. Duh!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Candied orange peels dipped in chocolate? What will you think up next? Did you go to culinary school or were you just born with this talent? I do believe you should start a restaurant or eve better a sweet shoppe! You would clean house!
    dee dee

    ReplyDelete
  5. Barbara, these look amazing! Talk about waaaaay better than the chocolate coverage candy orange sticks out there. Nom, nom, nom :)

    Hugs, Tanya
    http://twelveoeight.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely idea, Barbara--they look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are so elegant and would be delicious served with coffee or espresso! I am sure to make these! Thanks! Drop by my blog for ON MENU MONDAY my weekly linky party for recipes and menus. These would be an upscale and welcomed treat! Link goes live Sunday evening at 8:00.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've had these at Christmas time as a candies around the world candy. They are divine! I'm always a fan of dark chocolate as it is...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my, who knew! I have been throwing out those rinds for ages. Have to try this!

    Thank you,
    Lynette @ thistlebleu.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. How yummy! Thank you for sharing your wonderful recipe at Potpourri Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These look great. I bet they would make a fabulous Christmas gift. I'd love it if you shared these at my link party. http://acraftycook.blogspot.com/2012/08/1-month-of-fun-august-link-party.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the eBallon Fest Photos! Beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey girl, this look and sound so very good! Chocolate and orange a make in heaven combination. I've got to stop throwing my rinds out and used them to make this great treat! Hope you’ll share your creative inspiration tonight with Sunday’s Best!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Even if they take a bit to make it looks and sounds like they are well worth the effort. Thanks for sharing this week.
    p

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my goodness, those look really good! I had no idea!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Tickled pink you shared! Missed you at the party! You are always so creative and take great pictures. I have been using the thirds when taking pictures and it really helps take a more appealing photo. So glad you shared your creative inspiration with Sunday’s Best – your creativity helped make the party a success!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have been wanting to make these for a while. Yours look lovely! Visiting from Stone Gable.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks so much for bringing these delicious little treats to ON THE MENU MONDAY~

    ReplyDelete
  19. Awesome! I love candied orange peel, and will try this recipe. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful! I've only had these once in a chocolate shop in the Smoky Mtn. area, but I didn't know how to make them! I think these would be absolutely perfect here in the Christmas season!
    Blessings,
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment. They truly do brighten my day.

Disclaimer

All content provided on 21 Rosemary Lane blog is for informational purposes only. The owner of this blog makes no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site or found by following any link on this site.

The owner of www.21rosemarylane.com will not be liable for any errors or omissions in this information nor for the availability of this information. The owner will not be liable for any losses, injuries, or damages from the display or use of this information.
These terms and conditions are subject to change at anytime with or without notice.

In addition products mentioned in some of my blog posts are done with the hope that i will render a good review on my blog. Products I review are ones that I have used personally and believe my readers will enjoy.
Copyright © 2014 21 Rosemary Lane. All rights reserved . Powered by Blogger.