6/22/13

Our Camping Getaway ~ Assateague Island


I know I have been a little bit absent the last couple of weeks, very unlike me. This was pretty much due to the end of the school year activities for both Michael and Grace with field day events and the wrap up of all their sports. Finally this past Tuesday, about an hour after the bus dropped off Michael for the last time this school year, the kids and I were on our way to spend the next three days camping with my dear friend Donna, her son Ryan and stepdaughter Ashley, in  Maryland's state park known as Assateague Island. (Poor Mr. Rosemary Lane had to work, so he had the house all to himself for three days!)


Legend has it that these horses are descendants of survivors from Spanish galleons that were shipwrecked off of Assateague Island back in the 1700's. Assateague's horses are considered ferral which simply means they were once domesticated horses which have gone back to the wild. Assateage has a "hands-off" policy regarding these gorgeous animals. The only contact they have with the horses is a once a year immunization for the females to control the horse over population. In addition to population control mares also live longer and healthier lives without the stress of yearly foaling.






The horses pretty much have the run of the land...nothing is off-limits to them, and they are completely uninhibited by the presence of humans.


This stallion decided to take his morning snooze right next to our camper.


I managed to snap a picture of the kids with the horses grazing in the background. There are safety rules with regard to campers and the horses of Assateague. Rule one is for campers to stay a minimum of 10 feet away from the horses as they can both kick and bite. Rule two has to do with the feeding of the horses. It is strictly prohibited to feed these animals, they are wild and need to depend on their own resources for obtaining food. 



We actually camped just behind the dunes of the beach so there was plenty of swimming, playing and exploring in the sand.



And what is camping without a fire and making s'mores?



We did check out the Island's Visitor Center and Museum to learn about the wildlife of Assateague.





No TV, no DVD's, no music...just the air, sky, sun and moon...plenty of nature, surf, sea critters and horses. Yes there was much to do for the three days we spent in Assateague...next year I think we may need to make it a whole week!




Wishing you all a very happy start to your summer!!!

XO
Sharing this post over at these wonderful blog link parties...

20 comments:

  1. What a beautiful campground, Barbara, the kids look like they are having a grand time, love how grace has her arms protectively around her younger brother and friend. The horses are so beautiful. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my! What a fabulous place to camp! How wonderful it must have been, and what a treat for the kids! We never camped anywhere so interesting or lovely. Camping, horses, ocean, beach...perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Barbara, what a great vacation spot. I bet the kids loved it. One of my favorite books as a child was Misty of Chincoteague. Is Chincoteague Island close to there or was that a made up place, anyway if Grace hasn't read it she would love it..Happy Summer Day..Judy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now THAT is a vacation! I bet everyone was just thrilled to be there- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks like a wonderful vacation and like the commenter above me I read Misty to my daughter and classroom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband just bought Misty for my 10 year old daughter!!! I am reading too!!!

      Delete
  6. What a neat experience! I had never heard of this until last year when our neighbor went. We need to go sometimes. Your pictures are gorgeous!
    KC

    ReplyDelete
  7. hi, I found your blog through Savvy Southern Style. When I saw where you went I couldn't wait to see your pics. I live 20 minutes from there and visit ALLLL the time. I'm so glad you enjoyed your visit. My childern take it for granted that we live so close and COMPLAIN about the horses. We've had our coolers emptied several times while on walks, our blankets tinkled on (can you imagine that mess) and even shoes chewed. I liken the horses to Yogi bear :) I love it though, it's always an adventure. The raw unspoiled beauty of the island is something I treasure, I'm Eastern Shore born and raised and I'm so proud of my home.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I saw your pic on Savvy Southern Style. I've been to Assateague several times and love it. I got bombarded by mosquitos there last year, even though it was worth it, so beautiful. Love the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You truly captured the spirit of the horses and barrier island. I've just added this place to my bucket list. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your photos are beautiful. Been to both Islands and we loved it too:) New follow. Follow back at http://www.sewsweetvintage.com/2013/06/beachy-signs.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. My sister used to live in Snow Hill Maryland she took her children there quite often. It is a beautiful place and you have done such a nice job capturing it. Your children look like they had a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your photos of this beautiful place are amazing. I wish I were there right now! I linked to you from The Tablescaper and here's my travel post for today, if you'd like to visit me. http://gotmyreservations.com/?p=10312

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, you've captured the essence of this place and those horses are gorgeous
    Come and join my new Travel photo Monday carnival starting this Monday on my site!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What an amazing place. I can't imagine being among those fine beasts. I'd love to go there sometime.

    Great to have you be a part of "Oh the PLACES I've been!". Hope to see you next week.

    - The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete
  15. My goodness, those horses are gorgeous indeed Could not take my eyes off them. Look like they belong to some kind of horse royalty.
    Your kids are beautiful. Love their phots walking through the woods

    ReplyDelete
  16. Barbara I will be adding this to my must see National Parks. Absolutely gorgeous. This is such an awesome post. I would love it if you would share this post at our WIW linky party. Hope you can join us!

    Paula
    ivyandelephants.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, what gorgeous photos. I would love to see the horses running on the beach. Looks like the perfect vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What gorgeous photos. I felt like I was there on the island, too! Misty of Chincoteague, with the swimming of the horses, was my favorite children's book, so it was extra special for me to read your wonderful post. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovely post and photographs - inspires me to go there too! It seems to me that there was a movie set in Assateague with Sissy Spacek and Kevin Kline-"Violets are Blue". Love that movie about newspaper people who uncover greedy developers poisoning the horses so they can build on the island. I think it was filmed in the 1980s.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment. They truly do brighten my day.

Disclaimer

All content provided on 21 Rosemary Lane blog is for informational purposes only. The owner of this blog makes no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site or found by following any link on this site.

The owner of www.21rosemarylane.com will not be liable for any errors or omissions in this information nor for the availability of this information. The owner will not be liable for any losses, injuries, or damages from the display or use of this information.
These terms and conditions are subject to change at anytime with or without notice.

In addition products mentioned in some of my blog posts are done with the hope that i will render a good review on my blog. Products I review are ones that I have used personally and believe my readers will enjoy.
Copyright © 2014 21 Rosemary Lane. All rights reserved . Powered by Blogger.