1/14/13

Soup for Supper ~ Lemon Chicken Soup with Fresh Spinach


It seems that we have literally been lost in a fog here in the northeast as today was the second day it has been super damp with an incredibly dense fog. You know, the kind of weather where you just can't seem to get the chill out of your bones. So for supper tonight I made this delicious chicken soup with fresh vegetables and a hint of lemon. I served it with some crusty bread, and instead of our traditional Sunday evening supper at the dinner table, we ate it all snuggled up in the living room by the fire. I had a glass of chardonnay with mine while Chris enjoyed a Riesling with his soup.

This recipe is from my new favorite magazine, the winter issue of The Cottage Journal.


Here is what you will need...nothing too fancy really! (I did adjust the amounts to suit my taste.)


1 T vegetable oil
4 shallots or scallions or some chopped red onion
3 stalks of celery
(I added an additional stalk of celery because it is loaded with vitamin A which slows aging and vitamin K which helps to build healthy bones.)
1-2 cups of sliced baby carrots
8 cups of low sodium chicken broth
2 bay leaves
4 cups of shredded rotisserie chicken meat
as much fresh spinach as you like
1/4 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
1/2 tsp. fresh ground black pepper

In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat the oil and add the onion celery and carrots. Saute for about 5-7 minutes. Add your broth and bay leaves, bring to a boil and let simmer over low heat for 15 minutes.

Stir in the chicken, spinach, fresh lemon juice and cracked black pepper. Cook until the spinach is wilted and the chicken is cooked through.


Enjoy!!!
Linking this post to link parties at these wonderful blogs...

7 comments:

  1. YUMMMMMMMY! And today is the day for it..Happy Sunday..Judy. Looks pretty too!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds wonderful, Barbara. I have never seen that magazine. It looks like a good one- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, this looks lovely! I am a big fan of clear soups. And...I have some spinach and lemons in the fridge!! ;-)

    Thanks so much for the recipe and have a wonderful evening!

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yummy. And the fire is even better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am SO going to make this soup! My mouth is watering. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love chicken soup, LOVE. Thanks for sharing Barbara and for your sweet comment on our home.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The perfect meal for a cold winters day! How yummy!
    dee dee

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment. They truly do brighten my day.

Disclaimer

All content provided on 21 Rosemary Lane blog is for informational purposes only. The owner of this blog makes no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site or found by following any link on this site.

The owner of www.21rosemarylane.com will not be liable for any errors or omissions in this information nor for the availability of this information. The owner will not be liable for any losses, injuries, or damages from the display or use of this information.
These terms and conditions are subject to change at anytime with or without notice.

In addition products mentioned in some of my blog posts are done with the hope that i will render a good review on my blog. Products I review are ones that I have used personally and believe my readers will enjoy.
Copyright © 2014 21 Rosemary Lane. All rights reserved . Powered by Blogger.